Foundation of Chung-Ang KinderGarten
The history of CAU began with the establishment of Chung-Ang Kindergarten as an annex to Chung-Ang Methodist Church at Insa-Dong, Seoul in April 1918. Since the Japanese invasion in 1910, many precursors have regarded educational institutions as a way to liberate the nation. In those days, most schools were established by foreign missionaries, and thus, people thought that kindergarten education would be the most effective way to imbue Koreans with the spirit of political independence. This was because kindergarten education may not only stir the national consciousness of young students, but also passes on the spirit of national independence to their parents.
To accomplish such goals, Chung-Ang Kindergarten, which began as a branch institute of Jeongdong Church Kindergarten, became the first and only educational entity fully founded and supported by Koreans, without help from outside forces. As a result, newspapers with national consciousness such as Dong-A Daily News and Maeil Newspaper reported in detail the activities and events of the kindergarten, while many people gave financial assistance to support its operations.
Chung-Ang as a Professional Education Institution
The establishment and activities of Chung-Ang Kindergarten marked a turning point for the expansion of the kindergarten education movement in Korea, under the motto "Our independence will be accomplished by improving abilities through education performed from the root through kindergarten." Although the imperial Japan enacted regulations against kindergarten education in response to the education movement, more kindergartens, including Susong, Kyeongseong, and Taehwa, were established in Seoul, Gaeseong, and Pyeongyang.
Meanwhile, the need for kindergarten teachers grew as the number of institutions increased. In September 1922, Chung-Ang Kindergarten opened its first female teacher training school. Notably, the teacher training school offered a kindergarten teacher certificate program despite many difficult circumstances. Even under unfavorable conditions, the graduates advanced to many different provinces, including Hamheung, Hweryeong, Masan, Jeonju, Anak, Cheonan, Sariwon, and Miryang. The certificate program of Chung-Ang Kindergarten truly played an essential role in educating and training kindergarten teachers. Despite administrative difficulties, it kept its spirit of independence, with no reliance on foreign fund. By 1928, the Kindergarten Teacher Certificate Program of Chung-Ang Kindergarten had become Chung-Ang Normal School.
Dr. Yim Young-shin and Dreams of Chung-Ang
Despite its accreditation at a higher level, Chung-Ang Training School for Kindergarten Teachers (Normal School) still experienced administrative difficulties. As the Japanese kept plotting tricks while school officers had financial and personal problems, the number of students was reduced to ten by 1932, and the school was forced to move to a private lot.
In 1933, a young lady named Yim Young-shin took charge of the kindergarten and became its first principal at the age of 34. A graduate of Kijeon School for Women, Yim Young-shin had been imprisoned for six months for leading the Samil Independence Movement at Jeonju. Afterwards, she graduated from Kwangdu High School in Japan and studied in the United States. She earned wide recognition when she revealed pictures showing Japanese mass-killing Koreans when the Kwandong earthquakes hit Japan. She sent the pictures to Dr. Lee Seung-man, who was leading the Korean independence movement in the U.S. After she got her master's degree in the U.S., she became determined to take a major part in Korea's liberation.
When she came back to Korea in 1932 nine years after she went to the U.S., she decided to devote herself to her nation, which was still under the Japanese rule. As the director of Y.W.C.A., she traveled across the country and realized the need for education. She spent 30,000 dollars - the money she had earned from farming, truck driving, and vegetable wholesale - to purchase land in Heukseok-Dong for school building and took charge of Chung-Ang Training School for Kindergarten Teachers (Normal School). Thanks to Yim Young-Shin, Chung-Ang gained a foundation to become the center of Korean education.
Development under Oppression
Although Yim took over the Chung-Ang Training School for Kindergarten Teachers (Normal School) and provided land for its building, the school still lacked teaching facilities. Moreover, Yim had financial problems in operating the school, especially when the Japanese banned donations to it. Nevertheless, Yim rented Pearson Bible School building to start the Chung-Ang school. The school also received financial support from the United States' Pfeiffer Foundation as a result of Yim's endless efforts to raise funds in the U.S.
In 1938, Yim built the school’s first stone-building, Young Shin Hall, which eventually became Chung-Ang’s permanent home. Most of all, Chung-Ang Training School for Kindergarten Teachers (Normal School), which developed the philosophy of kindergarten education, became the cradle for "new women." These women founded the Chosun Kindergarten Education Society and took on active roles in social education through concerts, plays, and literary activities
In 1937, the Japanese waged war against China and brought about a war in the Pacific by attacking Pearl Harbor. In 1940, they closed down Dong-A Daily News and Chosun Daily News. Then they announced a detention law against political offenders in 1941, established a conscription system, and promulgated the law for wartime emergency procedures in 1943. The Japanese heavily repressed Chung-Ang Training School for Kindergarten Teachers (Normal School), targeting Ms. Yim, who was a Christian and who received education in the U.S. Although the imperial Japanese attempted send a signal by attacking the school, their forces couldn’t enter the school due to Dr. Yim's efforts. However, as a result, the Chung-Ang school was banned from accepting applicants and eventually was closed down in 1944.
Liberation of Korea and the Role of Chung-Ang
In August 1945, when Japan was defeated and Korea was liberated, Korea was faced with a variety of political tasks. One of such was democratization. In September 28, 1945, Dr. Yim reopened the Chung-Ang Training School for Kindergarten Teachers and set the school’s motto as "Live for Justice, Live in Truth“. By then, the mission of Chung-Ang was no longer to regain political independence though education, but to develop human resources for the newborn republic.
In addition, Dr. Yim upgraded Chung-Ang Training School for Kindergarten Teachers to Chung-Ang Junior Women's College in October 1945, to Chung-Ang Women's College in 1947, and to Chung-Ang University, the first co-educational institution in Korea, in 1948. While serving as the school’s president and chairman of the board, Dr. Yim also worked as Korean representative in the United Nations during the Republic of Korea foundation process.
After the school celebrated its first conferment of bachelor's degrees in 1945, it had to be temporarily closed down due to the Korean War. Yet, it soon resumed its operations after it relocated its campus to Pusan, where it produced its second, third, and fourth batches of graduates by the end of the war.
Chung-Ang as a University
In February 1953, Chung-Ang College, which continued its education offerings throughout the entire wartime period, was accredited as a comprehensive university that consisted of a graduate school and four component Undergraduate Schools--the College of Liberal Arts & Science, the College of Law, the College of Business, and the College of Pharmacy. Also, Dr. Yim was appointed as the first president of the university. After a ceasefire in the Korean War was declared, the school returned to its Seoul campus.
Nevertheless, classes were taught in temporary buildings because of the US Army's occupancy of the Seoul campus, which was returned to the school after one semester.
The University continued to grow and expand to 19 major areas in four Undergraduate Schools, with a student population of 2,850 by 1959.
To cope with its growth, the Pfeiffer Hall was constructed in 1956, and the main library, in 1959.
The University was growing not only in terms of campus infrastructure, but also in the educational sphere with the establishment of the International Culture Institute to enhance research activities, and with the incorporation of a kindergarten, Young-Shin Junior High School, Young-Shin Women's Junior High School, Nakyang Junior High School, and Nakyang Technical High School as its sister schools to provide
Strengthening the Fundamentals
Chung-Ang University continued its expansion throughout the 1960s. By 1965, the number of its Undergraduate Schools increased from four to six as its College of Liberal Arts & Science was split into the College of Liberal Arts, the College of Science & Engineering, and the College of Education.
Also, a sister middle school and a sister high school became its affiliate schools, and it added an affiliate elementary school to deliver consistent education from kindergarten to graduate school under the same foundation and philosophy. In February 1967, it established its Graduate School of Social Development to train specialized professionals and promote academy-industry cooperation. In 1968, the university’s undergraduate program expanded to have in it the College of Liberal Arts, the College of Science & Engineering, the College of Education, the College of Law, the College of Political Science & Economics, the College of Business Administration, the College of Agriculture, and the College of Pharmacy.
In 1971, the University added the College of Medicine to its list of Undergraduate Schools and took over Seong Shim Hospital to upgrade itself to one of the top universities in Korea.
Along with Chung-Ang’s expansion of college organization, it also expanded and enhanced its facilities. In July 1961, Jin Seon Hall and the University Theater were built, and the Social Development Hall was constructed in October of the same year. Furthermore, during its celebration of its 50th anniversary, it also unveiled the Blue Dragon Monument as a symbol of the school’s history and its new global mission. Seungdang Hall was also built around this time, and Bobst Hall, in December 1969. All these developments contributed to the quality improvement of the university.
Paving the Path to the Future
In 1972, the founder of Chung-Ang, Dr. Yim Young-shin (Louise Yim), stepped down as the university’s president and was succeeded by Dr. Yim Cheol-Sun. In the 1970s, as Korea had more exchanges with foreign countries, it became necessary to have a university that could respond to external changes. Also, it was believed that basic studies should precede applied studies. The College of Liberal Arts and the College of Science & Engineering of Chung-Ang University were restructured into the College of Liberal Arts & Science and the College of Engineering in 1972. In the field of art, Chung-Ang took over Seorabeol Art College, which had been operated by the Seorabol Art Institute, in June, 1972, and made it Chung-Ang’s College of Arts. In 1978, Chung-Ang established the Graduate School of International Management and Graduate School of Education to support professionals. The graduate schools opened in January, 1979.
Facility expansions also progressed to prepare for the future.
The university constructed Seorabeol Hall by extending Jin Seon Hall in 1972. Natural Hall for the medical school was built in 1974; the Student Union Hall in 1976; and the university hospital’s new extension in Pil-Dong, 1978. As part of the efforts to become a world-renowned university, it continued to construct buildings in its two campuses, which included lecture halls, a dormitory, and the Student Union Hall in March 1980. In the midst of these remarkable changes and development, the school confronted the death of its founder, Dr. Yim Young-shin, in 1977 February.
Opening a Second Campus and the Years of Adversities
In 1980 May, Dr. Rhee Seok-hui, a then-philosophy professor of Chung-Ang, was appointed as the fifth president of Chung-Ang University. The university established the Graduate School of Mass Communications in November, 1980, to train professional journalists, and an annex to the university’s hospital in December, which greatly improved the school’s educational environment. The school also strived to improve the learning environment in Anseong. In October 1981, the university added the College of Foreign Languages, the College of Social Science, and the College of Home Economics to its roster of Undergraduate Schools. Geared toward developing the two campuses in Seoul and Anseong in a balanced manner, the Heukseok campus, Seoul, was renamed as the school’s first campus, and the Anseong campus as the second campus. The university separated its Department of Music from its College of Arts to establish the College of Music in 1982 October. It also renamed the College of Agriculture as the College of Industrial Science, and added to its roster the Graduate School of Construction Engineering in September, 1983. When the University established the College of Construction Engineering in its second campus in 1984, the Anseong campus came to accommodate seven Undergraduate Schools.
Along with its reorganization and expansion of the undergraduate program, the university extended its infrastructure on Anseong campus. These constructions continued extensively between 1980 and 1984. The school built additional buildings in 1980; an athletic field and a second Student Union Hall in 1981; a faculty office building, a laboratory building for the College of Agriculture, and the Arts building in 1982; buildings for the College of Music, an outdoor swimming pool, an auditorium, and a gymnasium in 1983; and more classroom buildings in 1984. Thanks to sizable financial assistance, the Anseong campus became modern and well-equipped.
However, such continuous investments in the Anseong campus eventually became financial burden for the overall university operations.
In the midst of the financial difficulties, Dr. Mun Byeong-jip became the 6th president of Chung-Ang University in 1985. To better manage the university, he reorganized its planning, budget, and financial systems. In addition, he modified the rules of the school to rationalize its management; introduced a new academic affairs administration systems; created the Office of Career Planning; and reorganized the operations of the Chung-Ang Cultural Institute and the Medical Center. Furthermore, he recreated the Departments of French Language & Literature, and Japanese Language & Literature; created the Department of Industrial Information; and pushed for the construction of a modern library. As the university foundation fell deeply in debt, the university continued to experience difficulties in management and operation.
New Start with Chairman Dr. Kim Hui-su
Without any solution for the financial difficulties, the struggles of the foundation and its affiliated corporations became known to the public. The debt was so great that neither the foundation nor the constituents of the school - its students, faculty, and staff - have the capability to repay the debt. The school tried to find an enterprise which would take itself over, yet not one corporation wanted to take the risk due to concerns over possible opposition from within. Amid this frustration,Dr. Kim Hui-su stood forward to take charge of the university.Dr. Kim, a Korean-Japanese businessman organized a new Board of Directors for the school and became the Chairman. He was born in Kyungnam, Korea, but went to Japan alone at the age of 13. After graduating from Tokyo Denki University, he founded and ran a company named Keumjeong. In Japan, he studied and later ran a company under a hostile racial discrimination. During that time, he realized that a country could only achieve independence by educating its youth. Such thinking led him to found educational institutions in Japan even before the appointment. With his new position as the Chung-Ang’s Chair of the Board, he first became in charge of managing a higher education institution. It was a historic event as he was the first Korean-Japanese to take a significant role in the Korean education.
Dr. Kim could not foresee, however, the confusion and obstacles he would face upon the takeover. For one, he was not aware of exactly how deep the foundation was in debt. Moreover, he wasn’t used to general practices in the Korean society. However, he could carry on his duty helped by his philosophy in life, "Enter the world empty, leave it empty." As he kept in mind all along that his wealth is for his homeland, he continued to do his best to make the nation prosperous.
When he became the Chairman of the school’s Board of Directors, he settled all its debts and recruited Dr. Jae-Chul Rhi as the 7th president of the University. Also, Dr. Kim built a faculty office building and the Law building in the first campus, completed the central library, and planned to construct a dormitory and the student union hall in the second campus. At the same time, he divided the College of Liberal Arts & Science into the College of Liberal Arts and the College of Science, and spun off advertising and public relations from the Department of Mass Media into a separate department in 1989. Furthermore, in the second campus, he added the Department of Russian Language and the Department of Bioengineering, the Graduate School of Industrial Technology Management, and the Graduate School of Public Administration.
Byproducts of Korean Democratization and Confusion within the University
During this period, the continuous efforts of students, professors, and out-of-power politicians who opposed the government's policy to enforce an indirect presidential election system led to the amendment of the Constitution to a direct presidential election system and the liberalization of schools. This influenced Chung-Ang University’s Undergraduate Schools in that students demanded the democratization of the school management and the development of the school, the most important related move of which was to establish the Medical Campus. Students occupied the main administration building to stress their points.
Since Dr. Hee-Su Kim became the Chairman of the Board of Directors, the school closed its contract to purchase a piece of property at Gaepo-Dong and planned a long-term development strategy. As a bogus organization called the Committee of the Struggle for Conscience made and circulated false documents, the situation became worse when students sided with it.
Eventually, Congress even dealt with the issue, and eventually, the whole plan was forcibly modified.
Preparation for Implementation of Chung-Ang’s Educational Philosophy
A pro-democracy social movement not only made the school less authoritarian but also allowed the movement’s members to organize groups such as the Association of the University Professors and the University Labor Union to exchange diverse opinions. These various opinions were often focused, however, on a certain individual or group, so that they could not be sufficiently taken as valid views of the school’s development. It was indeed difficult to set a direction for the growth of the school.
In the meantime, President Jae-Chul Rhi resigned due to health reasons, and for the first time, the faculty and staff voted Dr. Kyong Kun Har the 8th president of Chung-Ang University. He introduced a five-day work week system to improve the working conditions of the staff and admitted students twice a year to attract better students. On the other hand, for the balanced development of the two campuses, Dr. Kyong added the Office of Academic Affairs, the Office of Student Services, and the Office of General Affairs to the two campuses, and the Office of International Education, into which the Language Institute and the Office of International Affairs were combined.
In February 1991, the university foundation Chung-Ang Culture Institute, was renamed the university foundation Chung-Ang University. At the same time, Dr. Rhi introduced a super computer, founded the Computer Science and Technology Center, and added buildings to house the College of Law, the College of Business Administration, and the Graduate school in the first campus, and the Student Life Center and the Faculty Residence in the second campus. Also, buildings for the College of Construction Engineering and the College of Industry were established, which improved the education conditions in the University
Nevertheless, in October 1991, the official report that evaluated the College of Engineering as having poor education conditions caused a great disturbance in the campus. As a result, the school organized the Commit-tee of the University Development Plan composed of professors in March 1992, and the Cooperative Counsel for University Development in April.
The cooperative work of the committee, the counsel, the alumni association, and the foundation entailed looking for ways to recover the stability and order of the school. To address the situation in the campus, the university foundation appointed Dr. Min-Ha Kim acting president during the residual period of Dr. Kyong Kun Har's presidency.
Upon his inauguration, Dr. Min-Ha Kim sent a letter to the Chung-Ang family to present practical plans and to appeal for collaboration to rebuild the basis for stability and development through mutual trust. Thanks to the family’s active participation, Chung-Ang University gradually regained public confidence in its plan to restore its stability. The University celebrated the '92 Pan-Chung-Ang Festival in October 1992, which gathered 20,000 men and women from Chung-Ang at the Jamshil Sports Complex. Moreover, the school added more buildings to its College of Arts, College of Science, and the Pil-Dong Hospital annex to the College of Medicine.
In February 1993, Dr. Min-Ha Kim was inaugurated as the 9th president of Chung-Ang University after the Presentation of Candidates for Chung-Ang President, which reflected the opinions of students, faculty, and staff. Dr. Kim, who was acknowledged as having effectively addressed the most difficult challenge the school has ever faced since its establishment, announced the following Four Nourishment Indices for the school: its positioning as a national university, a democratic university, and an advanced university, and the creation of a new and healthy culture for the University.
In response to the increasing demand for professionals in the drug- and food-related fields, the University established the Graduate School of Food and Drug Administration in November 1994, founded the Su-rim Science Hall for the College of Natural Science in March 1995 and a female dormitory in April, and extended the Bobst Hall for the College of Engineering in August and the Computer Science and Technology Center in December. In October 1995, the division system was introduced that led to the classification of the departments of Physics, Chemistry, Biology, and Mathematics under the Division of Natural Science; the departments of Mechanical Engineering and Mechanical Design under the School of Mechanical Engineering; the departments of Electrical Engineering, Electronics Engineering, and Control & Instrumental Engineering under the School of Electrical Electronics & Control Engineering; the departments of Business Administration, International Trade, and Accounting in the College of Business Administration under the Faculty of Business Administration; and the departments of Business Administration, International Trade, and Accounting in the College of Social Science under the Faculty of Business & Commerce. Also, the College of Science was renamed the College of Natural Science, the Graduate School of Industrial Technology Management was renamed the Graduate School of Industrial Management, and the Graduate School of Art was established.
In January 1996, the main gate of the second campus was built, as were the Student Welfare Hall in the first campus and the main administration building in the second campus in October. The Department of Pharmacy and the Department of Sanity & Manufacturing Pharmacy were combined into the Faculty of Pharmacy; the Department of Premedicine and the Department of Medicine, into the Faculty of Medicine; and the Department of Civil Engineering and the Department of Urban Engineering, into the School of Earth Environmental Systems Engineering in October 1996. Also, the Graduate School of Food & Drug Administration was renamed the Graduate School of Food & Drugs, and the Graduate School of International Studies was established.
In February 1997, Dr. Jong Hun Lee was appointed the 10th president of Chung-Ang University. Dr. Lee started the Neo-Renaissance Movement that reminded people of the original purposes of the school, which were focused on education and research. The College of Sports Science was established in the second campus in March 1998 to educate students on sports and leisure. Also, the College of Domes tic Science was changed to the College of Human Ecology, and the College of Industry, to the College of Industrial Science. According to the Government’s Brain Korea 21 plan, the Graduate School of Advanced Imagining Science, Multimedia, & Film was established, which made the school eligible for the highest level of Financial Support for Excellence in Educational Re form for five successive years. In addition, Chung-Ang Kindergarten and Chung-Ang High School were relocated to improve their education and research conditions; the Information & Communication Hall at the main administration building, the University Church, and a sewage treatment plant were established; and the Chung-Ang Culture & Arts Hall, which published the historic document "80 Years of Chung-Ang University," was opened. Meanwhile, the delayed construction of the Medical Center with 1,000 beds, which was announced during the inauguration of Dr. Hee-Su Kim as the Chairman of the Board of Directors, caused great disturbance, including strikes and refusal to attend classes. Fortunately, these problems were resolved as the foundation and the school agreed to build the Medical Center at the site of Chung-Ang High School, which was scheduled to be moved to Dogok-Dong.
Establishment of Plan Dragon 2018 and Its accomplishment through the MBO Method
At the onset of the new millennium, i.e., in February 2011, Dr. Myung-Soo Park was inaugurated as the 11th president of Chung-Ang University.
He introduced the principles of the New Vision, the New Culture, and the New Action for the Creation of a New Chung-Ang through Changes and Development. He also presented a new university development plan called Dragon 2018.
Dragon 2018, which combines two terms of the school symbol, the blue dragon, and the 100th anniversary of the school, the year 2018, is a general university development plan for both the short term and the long term that sets goals and indices that the school wanted to reach by its 100th anniversary to improve its education, research, and learning environments.
Dragon 2018, which includes the collective opinions of the foundation, the school, the association of the university professors, the staff labor union, the student association, and the alumni association and which began in October 2002, contains practical, amendable, and flexible plans along with yearly objectives based on the method of MBO, which makes it possible to evaluate and carry out achievements each year. Such strategic and incremental plans enabled the school to change significantly in response to the multimedia era. First of all, it began with the UI project that integrated the school symbols in newly esigned images and colors. Furthermore, the closed main gate was replaced with symbolic statues without fences.
In addition, the College of Korean Music was established in March 2001 and the Graduate School of Korean Music in October 2002. As part of the implementation of Dragon 2018, the Chung-Ang family promoted their education- and research specializations through the Chung-Ang Team and Chung-Ang Infra for the University infrastructure, and formulated a master plan that included the construction of a medical campus, faculty buildings, a gymnasium, a multipurpose complex, the Korean Music building, the Student Life Hall, and an athletic dormitory. As a whole, Dragon 2018, which led the school’s development and the improvement of its vision, strategies, and environments for education, research, administration, and facilities, paved the way for the integration of the Chung-Ang family.
Constructing a new Chung-Ang through Creation and Integration
It has been three years since Dr. Bum-Hoon Park was appointed the 12th president of Chung-Ang University under the motto "To construct a New Chung-Ang through Creation and Integration." As the University rapidly expanded, there had been little time for it and external entities to reflect on and reassess the quality of the school’s educational efforts.
This came to such a point that the Ministry of Education often gave the University direct and indirect pressure to take corrective measures with respect to both the direction and methods of its operation. Especially, the University participated in many projects to educate and train its human resources. Examples of these projects are the Fostering Graduate School Project, which concentrated on the fields of law, medicine, and business administration; 2-Step Brain Korea 21, which focused on the fields of science technology and liberal arts; the University Restructuring Support Project, which provided financial support to the efforts to integrate similar fields and raise enrollment, and the University Specialization Support Project, which supported the University’s choice of its own areas of specialization. As a result of demands and challenges, CAU 2018, which inherited the Dragon 2018 project and reflected the needs of the era, was announced as the development plan for Chung-Ang University to train intellectuals with "righteousness and truth," nurture world-class research groups, and execute practical international collaboration and social contribution. To implement CAU 2018, the school promoted its BEST Implementation Plans for the Creation of a Research-oriented University System that aimed to put the school in a dominant position in research fields, collected opinions of members, and provided administrative and financial support for the addition of Law, Medical, and Business schools to the University system. Also, to train excellent human resources and accelerate the stabilization of the school’s research-oriented system, the school participated in 2-step BK 21 with 10 project groups and 20 core project teams. The University further integrated similar or overlapping programs and restructured education units. Especially, the University was selected as proponent of Human Resources Development through the Korean Music Education Reform System in 2004 and of Human Resources Development through Performing-arts- & Film-oriented Integration Education in 2005. Also, the University’s Graduate School of Human Resources Development was established as a part of the National & Regional Human Resources Development through the Establishment of a Global HRD Academy project.
The successful attainment of such projects depends on the addition of educational and research facilities, financial and human resources support, and the concession and collaboration of members of the school family.
Accordingly, the University is concentrating on increasing its facilities, including with the addition of a Law building, dormitories, and the Integrated Research Complex in its first campus, and the Student Welfare Hall and the Research Complex in its second campus. Such efforts not only led the school to rank highest among Undergraduate Schools and graduate schools in Korea in 2006, but they also helped spread the CAU spirit. The school hopes that its CAU 2018 project would have made the University world-renowned by the time it celebrates its 100th anniversary in 2018.
As of March 2006, Chung-Ang University has produced 131,458 bachelor’s degree holders, 24,062 master’s degree holders, and 3,552 doctors from one graduate school, two professional graduate schools, 12 specialized graduate schools, and 18 undergraduate Undergraduate Schools that comprise 16 divisions, 14 faculties, and 68 departments.
Going Forward from Korea’s Center to the World’s Center
In May 2008, the global corporation, Doosan Group, was incorporated as an educational institution, and Yong-Sung Park was elected as the 9th Chairman of the Board. The appointment of Chairman Park, who successfully negotiated the industry-shift of Doosan Group from consumer goods to heavy industry, symbolizes the re-birth of Chung-Ang University. Within 80 days of taking office, a meeting was held with the entire teaching staff on 27 August 2008, where the ※CAU2018+※ Mid-Term Development Plans were announced along with the new strategy direction of “Choice and Concentrate, Strengthening of Executive Ability, Establishment of Virtuous Cycle Structure”. The university thus became the first in the nation to introduce an annual salary system to 100% of university employee in order to further achieve the university’s development vision in internal members. The aim of the idea was to improve the potential of each staff by basing income strictly on one’s ability and accomplishments. Consequently, the administrative staff have been given the flexibility to actively cope with external circumstances after the conversion of the wage system from a class salary system to an annual salary system. The Degree Management System has been strengthened to encourage students to study diligently, as in order to graduate, students were required to attain a minimum level in compulsory subjects such as English and Accounting.
In order to the support this type of research, education and practice more effectively, an R&D Center for the College of Pharmacy and new Dormitories for students were constructed, the Central Library extensively renovated, and the hospital extended to fit 300 additional wards. Thus, the plans, which up to that point had only been kept as dreams, have now been put into action through the executive ability and capital of a corporation. Research projects are also being supported by the Special Committee for Strengthening the Marketability of Research, who have the power to strategically select fields for specialized support. Such changes have already resulted in the designation of 6 new companies in the second stages of the BK21 enterprise, and a budget of KRW 6 billion being allocated to the leading research team, thus implementing the “choice and concentrate” strategy.
Furthermore, to strengthen executive ability, the direct election system for presidency was abolished, and replaced by the appointment system. Consequently, the 12th President, Dr. Bum Hee Park, was re-appointed into office as the consecutive 13th president. This reflected the strong will of the Chairman to minimise energy loss resulting from hosting an election campaign during an important time of transition within the university.
The largest project being persevered by Dr. Bum Hoon Park and the corporation, is the establishment of Hannam Campus. In 2007, a Memorandum of Understanding was exchanged with Hannam, and thus preparation for the creation of Hannam Campus is currently underway.
Through the legacy built over 90 years, Chung-Ang University, together with the global corporation, Doosan Group, is stretching its wings, to go forward from the “Center of Korea” to claim a place amongst the world’s greatest.
As of January 2011, Chung-Ang University, as a comprehensive institution, consists of one general graduate school, five professional graduate schools, 11 specialized graduate schools, and an undergraduate school made of 5 faculties with 10 colleges of 47 departments in the campuses across Seoul and Anseong, and has produced a total of 152,187 Bachelor Degrees, 30,693 Masters Degrees, and 4,364 Doctorates.
Chung-Ang University ─ from the hub of Korea to the center stage of the world
In May 2008, global corporation Doosan Group became the new educational foundation for CAU with Park Yong-Sung, the head of the group, elected as the 9th chairman of the board of directors for the university. The inauguration of the new chairman, who played a key role in the growth of Doosan from a maker of consumer goods to dealing with heavy industries, was widely interpreted as the birth of the new CAU. Park proposed “the establishment of the selection and concentration strategy, consolidation of executive capability, and virtuous circulation” at the faculty council held on August 27, 2008, 80 days after his inauguration, during which the mid- and long-term development plan (CAU2018+) was announced. CAU also adopted the annual salary system as Korea’s first university to do so as part of the effort to achieve the development vision via the reformation of its organization. The new pay system was intended to develop the potential of the faculty through wages determined wholly by capability and performance. The new pay system was introduced to the other employees of the university as well together with the reformation of its administrative organization, which aimed to cope effectively with the external environment. The new board also adopted a new academic management system for the students to help them achieve higher standards in their academic life. As a system adopted under the banner “University for the Students that Works Harder,” students of CAU are now required to complete a few courses of English and accounting to be qualified for graduation.
CAU has since constructed an all-inclusive R&D center for its College of Pharmacy and the departments of natural science in an effort to provide efficient support for academic researches and education. The university also built new dormitories for its students, remodeled the central library, and enlarged the university hospital to increase the beds by 300. These construction projects that CAU had long dreamed of were accomplished thanks to the funding power and executive ability of the new school foundation.
The university has organized the Special Committee for the Enhancement of Research Competitiveness as part of its support program designed to focus on researches conducted in the strategic areas it has chosen. The activities of the committee have already begun to yield promising results as shown by the launch of 6 research projects under the BK21 Project and the allocation of a 6 billion KRW budget for the pioneer research teams selected under the “selection and concentration” strategy.
Under the new board of directors, CAU decided to abolish the direct election system for its president and revive the appointment system through which Dr. Park Beom-hun, the university’s 12th president, was appointed to serve a second term. The decision
was made according to the strong will of the new chairman of the board who believed that the waste of energy during the election process was harmful to the university, which was then undergoing significant changes for its future. One of CAU’s most ambitious plans to which President Park Beom-hun and the board are currently paying their full attention is the establishment of the university’s Hanam Campus, for which CAU and the city administration of Hanam-si signed an MOU in 2007. The new campus is planned to be an environment-friendly green campus housing research institutes committed to cutting-edge hi-tech areas such as IT, BT, and CT. President Park is widely regarded among the staff of the university as the right man for the success of the plan.
Grown into one of the top higher education institutions in Korea since its establishment 90 years ago, Chung-Ang University -- joined by the Doosan Group, one of Korea’s leading global business groups -- is now making a giant step forward to attain its goal of becoming a “prestigious academic institution admired by the whole world.”
Construction of all-inclusive educational infrastructure and establishment of a new vision for the next millennium
In March 2011, An Guk-sin was inaugurated as the 13th President of Chung-Ang University. Under his administration, the university began to expand its educational infrastructure with financial support from the Doosan Group.
In May 2011, CAU saw the completion of Building 102 (College of Medicine and R&D Center) and Central Lawn Plaza at Building 101 (or Yeongsin Hall). Now generally regarded as the landmark of the university’s Seoul Campus, Building 102 features a structure of 11 stories with 4 underground floors whose total floor area is 38,360㎡. The building houses offices and laboratories for the faculty and students of the College of Medicine, lecture halls, R&D facilities, and amenities.
In August 2011, CAU reorganized the duplicated departments in Seoul Campus and Anseong Campus and incorporated branch schools into the main school; for example, the departments of foreign languages and commerce and business in Anseong Campus were merged into the same departments in Seoul Campus.
In November 2011, CAU merged with the Red Cross College, which led to the integration of CAU’s Department of Nursing, College of Medicine and the Red Cross College into the CAU Red Cross College of Nursing in March 2012.
In July 2012, the building of Seungdang Hall was remodeled and given the new name Future House. The building, now featuring 7 stories with 3 underground floors, is used as a dorm accommodating 159 students in 80 rooms.
In March 2013, Yi Yong-gu was inaugurated as the 14th President of Chung-Ang University. The Graduate School of Nursing and Health Professions was established with the recruitment of 50 new students. The university under the administration of Yi was selected as a beneficiary of a number of government-sponsored academic projects, including the LINC Project for 2013, ITRC Project, Best University for Contribution to High School Education, ACE Project, and CK Project.
In February 2015, CAU saw the completion of Building 309, a new dorm designed to accommodate, together with the first dorm, a total of 2,330 students; thus contributing tothe stability of residence for the undergraduate and graduate students attending the university’s Seoul Campus. In April 2015, Kim Cheol-su was inaugurated as the 10th chairman of the board of directors. In August, the Centennial Commemoration Project Team was organized to prepare for celebrations marking the centennial of CAU in 2018.
In February 2016, Park Yong-hyeon was inaugurated as the 11th chairman of the board.
In March 2016, Kim Chang-su was inaugurated as the 15th President of CAU. Announcing his plan at the inauguration ceremony to make the university “faithful to the basics, providing all its members with rewarding experiences,” he has since been keenly interested in the establishment of an advanced school operation system. In August 2016, the university completed the Centennial Hall (or Building 310) -- another landmark of CAU Seoul Campus featuring a structure of 12 stories with 6 underground floors whose total floor area is 75,058㎡ -- making it Korea’s largest university building in terms of floor area. The building houses offices and lecture halls with various amenities for the faculty and students of the School of Business Administration, College of Business and Economics, College of Engineering, and College of ICT Engineering. On the first-floor lobby is a sculptural work titled History Wall (also called Flash 100) completed in October to commemorate the centennial of the university.
The recent outstanding performance of Chung-Ang University has been duly acknowledged by the university rankings published by prestigious rating agencies in Korea and overseas. It was ranked 7th among all Korean universities by Joongang Ilbo in 2016, the world’s 386th best university in the 2016 edition of the QS World University Rankings, and the 60th best among all Asian universities according to the Asian part of the QS University Rankings 2017.
In February 2017, CAU got selected as a beneficiary of the KOICA Scholarship Program for MA Degree in Urban Development Policy and established an MA course in the Department of Urban Development Policies. The department plans to produce a total of 60 students with MA degrees from 2017 to 2021.
In March 2017, CAU was selected to participate in the SW Center University Project sponsored by the Ministry of Science, ICT, and Future Planning. The university, under a plan to receive a government subsidy of 6.6 billion KRW for 4 years, established in the College of ICT Engineering a new course focusing on the Fourth Industrial Revolution, and it plans to produce future-oriented creative experts. CAU also began to establish the New Vision 2030 as part of the commemoration of its centennial in 2018, by which it will take major steps to become one of the world’s top universities respected by scholars all over the world.
As of March 2017, Chung-Ang University consists of a graduate school, 4 specialized graduate schools, 12 special graduate schools, and 49 undergraduate departments in 13 colleges. The university has so far produced 191,592 students with BA degrees, 21,170 students with MA degrees, and 5,541 students with PhD degrees.